Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The trip to BC

Well, it's been just about a year since I last wrote an entry here but I think moving to Canada deserves a little note if not, a few notes. My plan is to write about the trip up here - one entry per day of travel (and it took 7 days to travel from Austin to our new home in BC). First, I have to tell you that George was generous enough to make the drive with me as far as Spokane - he was amazing, taking over most of the driving and making sure that the car we were towing behind the 26' Penske truck was secure on the tow dolly. A big 'thank you' goes to both him and his lady, Dino, who happens to be a long time friend of ours - going back as far as college in Denton in the 90s.

So, consider this the introduction (and notification for some of you) to our Canadian Odyssey and hopefully, I will be able to make an entry for the next 7 to 14 days.

I did make notes during the trip but will just give you a quick impression today with more details to follow:
First thing, George introduced me to the podcasts of one brilliant sex and relationship guru named Dan Savage out of Seattle and the name of his show is "Savage Love" - I highly recommend that all of you who are in "non-traditional" relationships (or those open-minded 'vanillas') download his podcasts on to your preferred machine and give him a listen - you'll laugh, you might cry, you'll feel vindicated, relieved, and educated after one podcast; you'll get even more if you listen to more than one. I've been thinking about calling him myself.....

Second, everyone in the US should consider why Texas is under so much road construction particularly compared to the areas where we were driving - it's as if a vast majority of state and federal funds were going right into TX road construction. Then, after the "why", ask why mass transit is being virtually ignored in that state.

Here is the route we took: Austin to Lubbock, Lubbock to Durango, CO; Durango to Provo (through Moab); Provo to Ontario, OR; Ontario to Spokane - George left for LA from Spokane and I continued on to BC on my own. The Hawthorne Suites in Lubbock was the biggest surprise and I would say was THE best hotel of the entire trip with beautiful furnishings, easy computer access on every floor and a SALT WATER spa and heated indoor pool. New Mexico was depressing and decayed - marked by our stop at Billy the Kid's (William H. Bonny) grave site in Fort Sumner - I cannot for the life of me understand what is going on in that state and the contrast between NM and Colorado was night and day!
Ok, more later, have to go!

1 comment:

Dragonsongbird said...

I am really going to enjoy these posts. I look forward to hearing the adventures. xo